Current:Home > reviewsLawyers for Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs ask judge to release identities of his accusers -Capitatum
Lawyers for Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs ask judge to release identities of his accusers
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 22:30:40
NEW YORK (AP) — Lawyers for Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs asked a New York judge Tuesday to force prosecutors to disclose the names of his accusers in his sex trafficking case.
The lawyers wrote in a letter to a Manhattan federal court judge that the hip-hop music maker needs to know the identities of his alleged victims so he can prepare adequately for trial.
Last week, a May 5 trial date was set for Combs. He has pleaded not guilty.
A spokesperson for prosecutors declined comment.
Combs, 54, remains incarcerated without bail after his Sept. 16 federal sex trafficking arrest. His lawyers have asked a federal appeals court to let him be freed to home detention so he can more easily meet with lawyers and prepare for trial.
So far, judges have concluded he is a danger to the community and cannot be freed.
The request to identify accusers comes a day after six new lawsuits were filed against Combs anonymously to protect the identities of the alleged victims. Two of the accusers were identified as Jane Does while four men were listed in the lawsuits as John Does. The lawsuits claimed he used his fame and promises of boosting their own prospects in the music industry to persuade victims to attend lavish parties or drug-fueled hangouts where he then assaulted them.
The plaintiffs in Monday’s lawsuits are part of what their lawyers say is a group of more than 100 accusers who are in the process of taking legal action against Combs.
In their letter Tuesday to Judge Arun Subramanian, lawyers for Combs said the case against their client is unique in part because of the number of accusers. They attributed the quantity to “his celebrity status, wealth and the publicity of his previously settled lawsuit.”
That reference appeared to cite a November lawsuit filed by his former girlfriend, Cassie, whose legal name is Casandra Ventura. Combs settled the lawsuit the next day, but its allegations of sexual and physical abuse have followed him since.
The Associated Press does not typically name people who say they have been sexually abused unless they come forward publicly, as Ventura did.
Combs’ lawyers said the settlement of Cassie’s lawsuit, along with “false inflammatory statements” by federal agents and Combs’ fame have “had a pervasive ripple effect, resulting in a torrent of allegations by unidentified complainants, spanning from the false to outright absurd.”
They said the lawsuits filed Monday, along with other lawsuits, and their “swirling allegations have created a hysterical media circus that, if left unchecked, will irreparably deprive Mr. Combs of a fair trial, if they haven’t already.”
The lawyers wrote that the government should identify alleged victims because Combs has no way of knowing which allegations prosecutors are relying on in their accusations in an indictment.
“To the extent Mr. Combs is forced to mount a defense against criminal allegations that the government does not seek to prove at trial, he is entitled to know that,” the lawyers said.
The indictment alleges Combs coerced and abused women for years, with the help of a network of associates and employees, while using blackmail and violent acts including kidnapping, arson and physical beatings to keep victims from speaking out.
veryGood! (66958)
Related
- 9/11 hearings at Guantanamo Bay in upheaval after surprise order by US defense chief
- Indonesia’s president visits Vietnam’s EV maker Vinfast and says conditions ready for a car plant
- Buffalo shooter who killed 10 at Tops supermarket to face death penalty in federal case
- Police in Puerto Rico capture a rhesus macaque monkey chased by a crowd at a public housing complex
- Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
- Simon Cowell’s Cute New Family Member Has Got a Talent for Puppy Dog Eyes
- As a new generation rises, tension between free speech and inclusivity on college campuses simmers
- Columnist’s lawyer warns judge that Trump hopes to ‘sow chaos’ as jury considers defamation damages
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Google layoffs 2024: Hundreds of employees on hardware, engineering teams lose jobs
Ranking
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- House GOP moving forward with Hunter Biden contempt vote next week
- Guatemalans hope for a peaceful transition of power with Bernardo Arévalo’s upcoming inauguration
- Outage map: thousands left without power as winter storm batters Chicago area
- Boy who wandered away from his 5th birthday party found dead in canal, police say
- Washington coach Kalen DeBoer expected to replace Nick Saban at Alabama
- Wait, did Florida ban the dictionary? Why one county is pulling Merriam-Webster from shelves
- Spain forward Jenni Hermoso says former coach Jorge Vilda made players feel uncomfortable
Recommendation
DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
Los Angeles police Chief Michel Moore announces he is retiring at the end of February
Ford vehicles topped list of companies affected by federal recalls last year, feds say
3 Palestinians killed by Israeli army after they attack in West Bank settlement
'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
North Carolina Gov. Cooper gets temporary legal win in fight with legislature over board’s makeup
Belarusian journalist goes on trial for covering protests, faces up to 6 years in prison
Hertz is selling Teslas for as little as $21,000, as it offloads the pricey EVs from its rental fleet